Saturday, May 12, 2012

Batonga 30 Day Dress Challenge: Day Twelve



the dress: as shirt // skirt: thrifted // shoes: thrifted // earrings: noble town vintage

day 133
I could see for miles, miles, miles







Today has been spent driving people from one place to another, listening to classical music, eating cereal on the road, and taking many photos on film.

A question was posed yesterday about how often I wash my dress and how I decided to use this one. I replied in the comments, but I thought I would answer again in a post. I'm washing it about once a week, as long as I don't sweat in it, haha. But I also try not to wear it all day. I usually take it off as soon as I get home from school/church/running errands or whatever so that I can wear it more between washes.

As for choosing the dress? It was sort of an impulse decision. My friend gave me the dress and when I decided to do the 30 day challenge that was the first dress I saw hanging in my closet. And so far it's been an awesome choice because even though it's floral, it's acting much like a neutral color so I can wear it with a lot of stuff. It's definitely good for stretching what prints and colors go together and I love that.

The trick in mixing florals (and I'm no expert, but this is what I hold to be true) is that generally it's easy to mix dark florals (like my dress) with light florals (like my skirt). Again, the dark florals serve as a neutral color so it works.

When deciding what to pair it with today, I almost didn't wear the skirt. I thought, "Man, it's cold outside and I'm going to be in and out of the car a lot, I don't want to be freezing." But then I thought, "When in the world has weather gotten in the way of what I wanted to wear?" It reminds me of the cold winter days when I couldn't stand outside for more than five minutes without my fingers going numb, with the snow blowing in my face and my feet getting soaking wet, but I still did it nearly every day to get a good photo. And now I'm being a wimp in this forty degree weather. But still, it's a lot colder now than it was this time last year ... when will Alaska realize that it's summer?

Well I am off for a date, so I'll leave you with my plea to help girls in Africa. But seriously, if everyone who reads this blog donates just five dollars, we will have raised over $300. It's really not that much per person, and you're helping to change the life of a girl.

So donate to the Batonga foundation today to support education for girls in Africa.

Have an awesome day everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment