Thursday, April 11, 2013

the simple life



shirt/cardigan: thrifted // hat/pants: forever 21 // boots: target






Today in chapel, the speaker spoke about living a simplistic life, and it really struck a beautiful chord with me. While he was in college, he figured he could live off of $300 a month, which equates to working a part time job, and then he would have more time to be able to do the things he wanted to do. In such a consumptive world as this one, it's hard to feel the need to be satisfied with what we have, especially in America. On our college's "overheard" page, someone posted this: "There are two types of money: no money and not enough money." While there is some incorrectness in that statement, it does pay heed to the thought that when you are pursuing money, you will never have enough of it. Compared to the rest of the world, we are some of the richest people, so complaining about not having enough money or stuff really is invalid. I would love for my life to be simplistic, where I don't have to worry about buying a lot of things because I don't need a lot of things. And it's really really true. I don't need a lot of things. I think especially we personal style bloggers think we need to constantly purchase new clothes to style or we will eventually run out of outfits or lose readers or whatever, but do we really need that many clothes? The fact is we don't. There's a lot of things I don't really have to buy, and maybe if I didn't buy those things, I would have more money to spend on doing the things that I really love to do. I am perfectly content living simplistically and not buying that extra hot chocolate or ahem, bags of macaroni and cheese packages. And then when I do have extra money to spare to buy those things, it will feel like a luxury and I won't take it for granted.






Perhaps this is also just a part of getting older. I've started taking care of myself better, trying to maintain a balanced diet, flossing my teeth every night (I know I know, I should have been doing it sooner), washing my face in the mornings. Matt and I are even talking about doing P90X over the summer to get into shape. I guess I'm finally becoming more responsible with my own body. Maybe that's what living away from your parents does, it makes you have to care for yourself instead of them doing it for you. In just a few years I'll be living in my own place with a real job, and that's a scary thought. But then again, I also thought college was going to be so scary, but we know I got into it pretty nicely. Millions of other people have become adults, so I guess I can do it to. There's nothing to worry about.





Have a great day you guys! Also thank you so much for your kind words on this post. I have yet to reply because I've been wanting to soak everything in, but I am so thankful that you guys are in my life and that we can talk about this stuff together. You are the best!


No comments:

Post a Comment