Tuesday, April 16, 2013

shine your light



dress: thrifted // skirt: borrowed // tights: walmart (?) // boots: forever 21





In light of a lot of tragic events, both personal and national, I vote we just take a moment to recall all the good in the world (so I apologize for these photos not matching the mood). I've been pretty hung up on bad situations--one of my friend's dad suddenly passed away, another friend's dad is about to pass away, and with all of the bad things going on in our country, I can't just ignore writing about it here, even though I really want this blog to be a positive place. Sometimes bad things happen and we have to deal with them. Life is just so fleeting, and once again I have to come to terms with that. I try not to take the people I love for granted, from losing friends all throughout my life, I know just how short the time you have with people is. Sure, some of those people I know are still alive--I can only imagine the heartache if they disappeared forever. Please never take your relationships for granted and cherish each moment.




But specifically with yesterday's events, I just want us to take a moment to remember all of the good that's in the world, and how many good people there are.

"Here’s what I DO know. If it’s one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. You watch the videos of the carnage and there are people running TOWARDS the destruction to help out. ... This is a giant planet and we’re lucky to live on it but there are prices and penalties incurred for the daily miracle of existence. One of them is, every once in awhile, the wiring of a tiny sliver of the species gets snarled and they’re pointed towards darkness.

But the vast majority stands against that darkness and, like white blood cells attacking a virus, they dilute and weaken and eventually wash away the evil doers and, more importantly, the damage they wreak. This is beyond religion or creed or nation. We would not be here if humanity were inherently evil. We’d have eaten ourselves alive long ago.

So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, “The good outnumber you, and we always will.” - Patton Oswalt

I think that speaks greater than what I could write. I know there's good in the world. There are so many wonderful people and the kindness I've seen fills my heart with hope for humanity. In these times of darkness, good people just have to shine their light extra brightly.





I hope you have a really wonderful and safe day.





No comments:

Post a Comment